Rhubarb + Orange cake
A moist crumb cake with a beautiful combination of flavours and dotted with chunks of fresh tart rhubarb.
WHAT YOU NEED
¾ tsp Cardamom
120g Unsalted Butter
¾ cup Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
Zest of 1 Orange
¾ cup Greek Yoghurt
1½ cups Plain Flour
¾ tsp Baking Powder
¾ tsp Baking Soda
½ cup Brown Sugar
3 Rhubarb stalks cut into 1 inch chunks
HOW IT'S DONE
1. Preheat the oven to 180° C and grease and line a cake pan with baking paper.
2. Using a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, beat the butter and sugar for a few minutes.
3.. Add the eggs one at a time and mix for about 2 minutes on medium speed, making sure to scrape down the sides. Then add the vanilla extract and orange zest.
4. In a bowl, sieve the flour, baking powder and baking soda together.
5. Add half of the greek yoghurt and half of the flour mixture to the batter and mix gently. Add the rest of the greek yoghurt and flour and mix for another few minutes until well combined.
6. In a small bowl, gently toss the rhubarb chunks in the brown sugar.
7. Place half of the batter into the cake pan and spread it out evenly. Then scatter half of the rhubarb chunks on top of the batter. Repeat this with the remaining batter and rhubarb.
8. Place in the oven and bake for about 50 -55 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
9. Allow cake to cool in the pan before turning out and serving.