A truly irresistible cake that will brighten anyone's day. The combination of both flour and almond meal in this recipe, results in a cake that look smalls but packs a punch in flavour. The light drizzle of icing on top adds a sweet yet tangy element.
WHAT YOU NEED
200g Unsalted Butter
1 cup Caster Sugar
1 cup Ground Almonds
Zest & juice of 1 Lemon
1 tsp Rosewater
1/2 cup Plain Flour
2 tsp Cardamom
2 tbsp Lemon Juice
1 cup Confectioners' Sugar
Zest of 1 Lemon
HOW IT'S DONE
1. Preheat the oven to 180° C and grease and line a cake pan with baking paper.
2. In a stand mixer, cream the butter and the sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Add the almond meal and mix to combine. Add the lemon juice, lemon zest, and rose water and mix well.
3. Combine the flour and cardamom together in a small bowl. Then gently fold this dry mixture into the wet mixture, be careful not to overmix.
4. Transfer the mixture into the cake pan, spread it out evenly, then bake for around 40 minutes. Cover the top of the cake with aluminium foil and bake for another 10 minutes, or until the sides are starting to brown, a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
5. Allow the cake to cool in the pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
6. To make the icing, whisk together the lemon juice and confectioners' sugar. Pour this over the cooled cake and let set for at least 30 minutes before sprinkling the slivered almonds and lemon zest and serving.